1) Tequila – The Champs
Fittingly, one-hit wonder The Champs top our list of the best drinking songs with the classic “Tequila.” Winner of the Best Rhythm and Blues Performance at the first Grammy Awards in 1959, the song was a b-side to a song called “Train to Nowhere.” When a Cleveland DJ flipped the record the public response was immediate and the song raced up both the pop and R&B charts.
Like several other songs on out list, the song’s popularity has endured over the years. Its most recent renaissance came in 1985 with the release of Tim Burton’s Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure. The song is forever linked to Pee-Wee doing the dance of life on top of the bar in white platform shoes borrowed from the busboy, smashing glasses much to the delight of local bikers. It’s poetry.
“Tequila” is the perfect drinking song to sing along with no matter how much you’ve had. After all, you only have to remember one word.
1. Tequila – The Champs
2. There’s a Tear in My Beer – Hank Williams
3. Whiskey River – Willie Nelson
4. Margaritaville – Jimmy Buffett
5. Gin and Juice – Snoop Dogg
6. Brass Monkey – Beastie Boys
7. Whiskey in the Jar – Traditional
8. Red Red Wine – UB40
9. Chug-A-Lug – Roger Miller
10. The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me) (An Evening with Pete King) – Tom Waits
(Agree with the list? Disagree? We’d like to hear your opinion. Send a list of some of your favorite drinking songs to firstname.lastname@example.org.)