Rolling Stone has an article up that fleshes out the details on the upcoming Bruce Springsteen documentary The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town, which will premiere at the Toronto Film Festival and be included in this fall’s Darkness reissue. Along with archival footage, band members, including the late organist Danny Federici discuss the album, and Patti Smith talks about writing the non-album single “Because The Night” with Springsteen. Springsteen nuts will also be introduced to music they’ve never had access to. “In the video footage there are scenes of Bruce Springsteen and Steve Van Zandt improvising songs you’ve never heard before,” says Festival programmer Thom Powers. “Making use of the audio tracks you really get a sense of how those songs came together.
* * *
Kill Rock Stars has compiled An Introduction To …Elliott Smith, a disc of the late songwriter’s greatest hits. “We hope this will enable new generations to learn about Elliott’s music by providing a pathway for people to delve more deeply into his immensely satisfying catalog,” the label said in a statement. The disc spans Smith’s seven studio albums, and will be released on November 2 on CD and 180 gram vinyl.
1. “Ballad of Big Nothing” – from Either/Or
2. “Waltz #2″ – from XO
3. “Pictures of Me” -from Either/Or
4. “The Biggest Lie” – from Elliott Smith
5. “Alameda” – from Either/Or
6. “Between the Bars” – from Either/Or
7. “Needle in the Hay” – from Elliott Smith
8. “Last Call” – from Roman Candle
9. “Angeles” – from Either/Or
10. “Twilight” – from A Basement on the Hill
11. “Pretty (Ugly Before)” – from A Basement on the Hill
12.“Angel in the Snow” – from New Moon
13. “Miss Misery” (early version)” – from New Moon
14. “Happiness” (single version) – from Figure 8
* * *
Arcade Fire stopped by the Daily Show last night to blaze through “Ready To Start” and “Month Of May,” from their new album The Suburbs, which debuted on the Billboard Charts at #1. Jon Stewart referred to frontman Win Butler, who towered over him, as “the kid in high school who protected me from bullies.” Watch the video of the band tearing it up below.
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|
|Exclusive – Arcade Fire – Month of May|