On April 8, Nonesuch Records will reissue Emmylou Harris’ career-defining 1995 album Wrecking Ball as a three-disc set. The reissue will contain a remastered version of the original album, which took home the Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Folk Album in 1996, as well as a bonus CD of recently unearthed demos and outtakes.
The package will also include a DVD of the documentary Building the Wrecking Ball, which features studio footage and interviews with Harris and producer Daniel Lanois, as well as Steve Earle and Kate and Anna McGarrigle, who appear on the album, and Neil Young, who wrote the title song.
Wrecking Ball, which finds Harris covering songs by Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and Gillian Welch, is currently available to pre-order at Nonesuch.com, with an exclusive print autographed by Harris.
Earlier this year, Harris won a Grammy for Best Americana Album for Old Yellow Moon, her collaborative album with songwriter Rodney Crowell. Don’t miss our cover story on their inspired pairing.
To celebrate the reissue, Harris will hit the road with Lanois this spring. Check out tour dates below.
1. “Where Will I Be?” (Daniel Lanois)
2. “Goodbye” (Steve Earle)
3. “All My Tears” (Julie Miller)
4. “Wrecking Ball” (Neil Young)
5. “Goin’ Back to Harlan” (Anna McGarrigle)
6. “Deeper Well” (David Olney, Lanois, Emmylou Harris)
7. “Every Grain of Sand” (Bob Dylan)
8. “Sweet Old World” (Lucinda Williams)
9. “May This Be Love” (Jimi Hendrix)
10. “Orphan Girl” (Gillian Welch)
11. “Blackhawk” (Daniel Lanois)
12. “Waltz Across Texas Tonight” (Rodney Crowell, Emmylou Harris)
Disc 2 – Deeper Well: The Wrecking Ball Outtakes
1. Still Water 3:55
2. Where Will I Be (alternate version) 4:14
3. All My Tears 3:21
4. How Will I Ever Be Simple Again 3:36
5. Deeper Well 2:18
6. The Stranger Song 5:21
7. Sweet Old World (alternate version) 5:56
8. Gold 3:16
9. Blackhawk (alternate version) 4:40
10. May This Be Love (acoustic) 2:15
11. Goin’ Back to Harlan 2:35
12. Where Will I Be (alternate version) 2:13
13. Deeper Well 3:06
Emmylou Harris Wrecking Ball Tour Dates:
April 3 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern
April 5 San Francisco, CA The Warfield
April 7 Royal Oak, MI The Royal Oak
April 8 Chicago, IL The Vic
April 11 Washington, DC The Lincoln Theatre
April 12 Brooklyn, NY TBA
April 13 Boston, MA The House of Blues
(additional tour dates to be announced)