Rules and Deadlines
Upcoming Contest Deadlines
September/October 2018 Contest – Deadline July 15th, 2017 11:59 P.M. (CST)
1. How to Enter. An entry fee of $15 payable to American Songwriter is required with each entry. By entering you agree that this entry fee is necessary to cover the processing and administration of the contest and that this fee includes a copy of American Songwriter magazine for each entrant who is not a current subscriber to the magazine. You may enter as many entries as you like but each entry requires a $15 fee. Songs that have placed in the Top 4 Finalists positions in previous contests may not be entered again. Honorable Mention positions from previous contests can be entered again. You may enter online via americansongwriter.com. We no longer accept mail-in entries.
2. Eligibility. The Contest is open to any amateur songwriter. American Songwriter defines an amateur as a songwriter who has not earned more than $5000 from songwriting related royalties, advances, or works for hire. Employees of and independent contractors for American Songwriter, Songspace and their immediate families or employees of sponsors are not eligible. By submitting, you are agreeing that you are an amateur as described above and that you are not employed by or affiliated with any of the contest sponsors and that you have not received a W-2 or 1099 from ForASong Media, LLC, American Songwriter Magazine LLC or American Songspace LLC or Songspace, Inc. in the past two years. You represent and warrant that (a) all registration information you submit is truthful and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information; (c) you are 13 years of age or older; and (d) your entry to the Contest does not violate any applicable law or regulation. If you are under 18 years of age, however, you must have permission and clearance to enter the Contest from your parent or legal guardian. Entry of the Contest is void where prohibited. Contest winners are notified by email address or phone number. If the chosen First Place winner does not respond to American Songwriter’s notifications within seven (7) days, American Songwriter reserves the right to contact the runner-up for the receipt of First Place. International winners must pay any and all customs fees for delivery of prizes.
3. Judging. This Contest is a talent and skilled-based business event. All entries are judged based on the quality of the lyrics and their suitability for musical composition. All entries will be first screened by one or more professional songwriters and/or employees of American Songwriter. The best lyrics among all entries will then be turned over to a group of industry professionals who will choose one first place winner and three other finalists. Winners will be notified via e-mail and results will be posted on the website. Entrants that did not place in the contest will not receive individual notification.
4. Prizes. The winning lyric, along with three (3) additional runners-up and ten (10) honorable mentions from each contest, will be published in the issue of American Songwriter that follows the deadline of each contest. One of the four finalists will also be chosen for American Songwriter’s one-page Q&A feature in the print issue and online. First place winner also receives a Paul Reed Smith Guitar and a Sennheiser E935 microphone. One bi-monthly First Place winner will win a round-trip domestic flight to Nashville for a “Dream Co-writing Session” with Charlie Worsham. The winner will also receive a full band demo recording session at Omni Sound Studios. If the songwriter for the co-writing session has to cancel for reasons outside our control, we will provide a replacement.
5. Content. We do not claim ownership in the materials you submit in conjunction with the Contest. Such materials include written text, files, images, photos, video, songs, lyrics, poetry, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, remarks, suggestions, ideas, graphics, tags, hashtags, genres, splits, ownership splits, identifiable numbers, identifiable codes, songwriter name, personal identifiable information, copyright registration information, affiliated companies or individuals, rights holder, administrator, publisher, or any other materials (collectively, “Content”) that you display, upload, transfer, publish, or post to American Songwriter or Songspace, whether public or private.
By submitting any Content through the Contest, whether public or private, you hereby grant to us a limited, non-exclusive license to use, modify, format, stream, transmit, beam, store, publicly perform, publicly display, adapt, translate, create derivative works, reproduce, and distribute such Content, in any format, whether known or unknown, including the limited right to use your likeness, persona, logo, trademark, and right(s) of publicity for purposes of the Contest.
By entering the Contest, you represent and warrant that your entry is an original work and that the content does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademarks, contract rights or any other rights of any person or business. You further agree to indemnify and hold American Songwriter and all contest sponsors, their subsidiaries, and affiliates, and their respective officers, agents, partners and employees, harmless from any loss, liability, claim, or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of any breach of your representations and warranties set forth above and/or if any part of the entry causes American Songwriter to be liable to another.
7. Conflict Resolution: The parties shall attempt in good faith to resolve any dispute arising out of or relating to this Agreement promptly by negotiation between persons who have authority to settle the controversy. Any party may give the other party written notice of any dispute not resolved in the normal course of business. If not resolved, any dispute, claim or controversy (i.e., contractual, tort, and/or statutory) arising out of or relating to this Agreement or the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof, including the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, shall be determined EXCLUSIVELY by arbitration in Nashville, Tennessee before one arbitrator. The arbitration shall be administered by either AAA or JAMS. This Agreement and the rights of the parties hereunder shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Tennessee, exclusive of conflict or choice of law rules.